Thursday, April 8, 2010

This House Of Mine

So I have this house. Honest to goodness, I fell in love with it the second I saw it.  Dark wood everywhere, huge walls and ceilings. I feel like I'm little in it, which for some reason I like.  I think it has something to do with me being tall. I don't really know, but I search for things that make me feel petite (weird I know).   Anyways it is kind of like my castle.

I will say though, anyone who knows me has heard me making fun of it at times.  "Spotted walls" That's been my latest complaint.  Poor Chad thinks I'm so hard to please.  I do it because I've decided this home is "out of my league".  Out of my decorating league -- that is for sure.

We've lived here two years now, going on three and it seriously looks like we just moved in.  Yes, ask anyone, no furniture in my front room (I'm holding out for the baby grand -- so everyone just get use to no furniture because on the budget list the baby grand it at the bottom!).  And almost all my walls are bare.  I have honestly attempted several times to buy stuff for it but every time I get it home, whatever I have bought has shrunk and suddenly is too small for even my smallest wall -- I don't get it.  It looks huge when I buy it.

Ever since I've moved here I've know I've wanted my kids pictures to go down the hallway.  So I took out my old kids pictures and looked them over.  I'm sure you guessed it - the 11x14 picture I got framed, which filled one whole wall in my old house now doesn't look proportioned correctly at all (even though there will be two of them on the same wall now).

So last month I decide I'm getting frames no matter what.  I find a coupon for custom framing.  I go and price it out - ready.....no really brace yourself........ $1000 and that is 60% off!  Who the crap....! What the crap.....! I almost died when they gave me the price.  Trust me I went with a frame and mat (none of the fillet and fun stuff like I had dreamed of).  $1000 on some frames.  Who can spend that money on one wall?  (Even though I'm finding that to be the price range for my house and walls.  Everything I find is in the $1000 range.  I've got lots of walls to fill people and a limited budget!) 

But then last week I had a revelation (ahhhhhh) I was walking down Hobby Lobby isles looking at some of their big pictures.  They are around $200 per picture (so I'm wondering why my frame cost $1000 for the same size).  These are pretty fancy frames with the fillets and stuff.  Then I notice an annoying sign posted everywhere I turn (come on anyone who has been there, agree with me,those signs are everywhere!)  saying 50% all home decorations or something like that.  Suddenly I realize I can get two frames for $200 and not $1000 --- !

So I've ended up with this.....


Now tell me what took me so long to figure that out?  Who knows but a lesson to everyone out there.  Maybe I can now work on some of my other walls..... or that baby grand.

3 comments:

Sher said...

I'm a complete decorating dunce.
We've adorned our walls in our house with hangable electronics...courtesy of my husband. That's his idea of decorating and I go along.

I desperately want a baby grand, too, but its way on the bottom of the budget list for us too.

I'm thinking of taking up a collection.

Jaimie said...

Awesome! And....you can add that you took the pictures yourself which only adds to your savings :)

Hyde Family said...

Oh, my goodness!!! I love that frame and especially the picture in it! So perfect for your house! Good job!